Question: iMessage/Text Messages Out Of Order
“Ever since I updated to iOS 12.4 my messages do not show in correct order. I’ve tried restart manually setting time and 24hr time. Nothing seems to fix this issue driving me nuts constantly missing text because overlooking. They are showing as if they were received before other messages. How do I fix this issue? Please help!”
iMessages or text messages out of order on your iPhone or iPad after upgrading to iOS 12.4/13? You’re not alone. Recently, many iPhone users have run into this messaging display problem. The messages sent and received are showed up in wrong order. It is really troublesome since you may overlook messages and miss important ones, especially in a group chat. Don’t know what to do? Take it easy. Here we have explained 7 simple ways to fix iPhone iMessage/text messages being out of order issue.
Now let’s start running down the list and try these potential fixes to resolve your problem and get your iPhone messages in proper sequential order again:
1. Turn iMessage Off and Back On
The first and easiest way to fix iPhone iMessages out of order error is to turn iMessage off, then wait for a while and turn it on again. This will help to refresh the Messages app and get your iMessages in correct order. Follow the steps below：
- Step 1: Go to Settings and choose Messages.
- Step 2: Click iMessage to toggle its switch to off.
- Step 3: Wait for several seconds, activate iMessage again and send some messages to check if it works.
2. Force Close Messages App
Force closing the Messages app is another effective way to fix iPhone text message out of order issues. For earlier models such as iPhone 8/7/6s/6 Plus, just double-click the Home button, choose the Messages app from the list of recently used apps, then swipe up on the app to force it to close.
If you are using an iPhone X or newer versions like iPhone XS/XS Max/XR which don’t have a Home button, simply swipe up from the bottom of the screen, wait for a second until the app cards appear. Then find the Messages app that you want to close and swipe up the preview to close it.
3. Check Date & Time Settings
Another quick fix for iMessages or text messages out of order error is to ascertain that the date and time are set correctly. Sometimes, incorrect settings might cause the messages placed randomly in the app. Check the settings as directed below:
- Step 1: Head to Settings and tap on General.
- Step 2: Select Date & Time and turn off “Set Automatically”, meanwhile ensure your time zone is correct.
- Step 3: Wait for about 20 seconds, turn on “Set Automatically” again.
- Step 4: Return to the Message App and check if the iMessage out of order has been resolved.
4. Force Restart iPhone
When you have your iPhone text messages being out of order, and a normal restarting device doesn’t help to resolve it, we recommend you try a force restart. Learn to force restart your iPhone depending on its model:
- For iPhone 6 and Earlier Models: Press and hold down the Home button and Sleep/Wake button together until the Apple logo shows up on the screen.
- For iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Press the Sleep/Wake button and Volume Down button altogether for about 10 seconds until the Apple logo shows up on the screen.
- For iPhone 8 and Newer Models: Press and release the Volume Up button quickly, and do the same for the Volume Down button on succession. Hold the Sleep/Wake button immediately until the Apple logo appears.
5. Try Airplane Mode
Another solution that is worth trying for iPhone iMessages/text messages out of order is to turn on the Airplane mode and then turn it off. Please first ensure to turn off iMessage by following the steps explained above. Then follow the below steps:
- Step 1: Turn on the Airplane Mode on the Control Panel.
- Step 2: Turn off your iPhone and leave it for about 5 minutes.
- Step 3: Turn on your device and turn off the Airplane Mode.
- Step 4: Enable iMessage in Settings again and check if the iPhone messages out of order issue have been fixed.
6. Update Your iPhone
Apple regularly releases new iOS versions to fix bugs and glitches on iPhone/iPad. If you are facing the iMessage or text messages out of order problem, you can try to update your device to the latest iOS version, currently iOS 12.4. Here’s how to update iPhone using iTunes:
- Step 1: Install and run the latest version of iTunes on your Windows or Mac computer.
- Step 2: Connect your iPhone or iPad to the computer and wait for iTunes to detect it.
- Step 3: Select your device and click on “Check for Update”, then click “Download and Update”.
If you don’t have a computer available, try updating your iPhone to iOS 12.4/13 wirelessly instead. Connect your iPhone to a Wi-Fi network and go to Settings > General > Software Update > Download and Install. Besides, always remember to make a backup of your device, whether you choose to update iPhone wirelessly or via iTunes.
7. Reset All Settings
If none of the solutions above work, the last effort you can try to fix iPhone text messages our of order issue is resetting all settings. Your iPhone will act as good as new, and the messages order issues should be over. Here’s how to do it:
- Step 1: Go to Settings and select General.
- Step 2: Locate the Reset button at the bottom of the list and click on it.
- Step 3: Select Reset All Settings. Enter your passcode as required and confirm your action.
If you don’t want to rest all your iPhone settings to the default, you can try to reset network setting only. Just head to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Enter the passcode required and delete all your Wi-Fi or other network settings to fix iPhone messages our of order issue.
Bonus Tip to Recover Deleted iMessages/Text Messages on iPhone
With the tips described above, you should be able to fix iPhone messages out of order problem. What if you accidentally delete important messages on your iPhone or iPad? Don’t worry. You still have the chances to get them back, even without a backup. Free iPhone Data Recovery not only supports to recover deleted messages directly from iPhone/iPad, but also iTunes and iCloud backup. Apart from iMessages and text messages, it also enables you to recover deleted contacts, call logs, WhatsApp chats, photos, videos, notes, and much more data.
Follow the steps below to recover deleted messages on your iPhone or iPad:
- Download, install, and launch Free iPhone Message Recovery software on your computer.
- Connect your iOS device and wait for the program to recognize it automatically.
- Select “Recover Data from iOS Device/iTunes Backup” then click “Next” to scan for lost data.
- When the scanning is complete, choose “Messages” on the left list to preview all deleted text messages, MMS and iMessages .
- Finally choose the conversation you want to recover and click “Recover” to save them to your computer.