Q: How to recover deleted iMessages?
“How to recover deleted iMessages on iPhone 7 plus? Tell me if you know how to do it, because I just deleted some vital iMessages on iPhone. Thanks in advance.”
iMessage is a popular instant messaging service designed by Apple. It’s quite easy to text iMessages via Messages app on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Macs. Different from traditional SMS/MMS, you can send texts, photos, videos, audio messages over Wi-Fi or cellular-data networks to iOS devices for free. However, lost or accidentally deleted iMessages often happens in daily life.
How to get deleted iMessages back on iPhone? Take it easy. This post will show you 3 free and easy methods to perform iMessage recovery, with or without backup. Read on to learn how to retrieve deleted iMessages on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Mac, iPhone XS/XS Max/XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8/7/SE/6s/6, or iPad Pro (latest iOS 13 supported).
- Method 1: Recover Deleted iMessages without Backup
- Method 2: Find Deleted iMessages on Other Apple Devices
- Method 3: Restore Deleted iMessages from iPhone Backup
Method 1: Recover Deleted iMessages without Backup
Have no backup? Don’t worry. You still have a big chance to retrieve deleted or lost iMessages on your iPhone or iPad. In fact, the iMessages that you just deleted still store in iOS SQLite database before other new texts overwrite the database. The fastest and safest way to recover deleted iMesseges is to use iMessage Recovery software. Here, Free iPhone Recovery is a good bet for you to get back deleted iMessages. Plus, this freeware can help you deleted text messages, contacts, call history, photos, videos, WhatsApp, notes, voice memos, Safari history, and much more data from iPhone or iPad.
How to Recover Deleted iMessages on iPhone/iPad without Backup:
This free iMessage Recovery software works well on both Windows (10/8/7/XP/Vista) and Mac (10.12, 10.13, 10.14 and 10.15 Catalina). Download the right version and install it on your computer, then follow the step-by-step guide below.
- Step 1: Launch the iMessage Recovery software; Ensure that Messages and Message Attachments are selected.
- Step 2: Connect your iOS device to computer and start scanning iMessages from iDevice or iTunes backup. (If you iPhone or iPad got lost or damaged, you can view the deleted iMessages from iTunes backup or iCloud backup.)
- Step 3: Preview and select the iMessage chats to recover after it finishes scanning.
Note: Please turn on the airplane mode of your device in case that new messages from others overwrite iOS SQLite database.
Method 2: Find Deleted iMessages on Other Apple Devices
Another solution is to remember that iMessage syncs across all your iOS and Mac platforms on which you activated it with the same Apple ID or iCloud Account. If you turn the Messages syncing feature on and you use multiple devices, your iMessages will be on each device respectively. For Example, in case you just deleted some iMessages from your iPhone, you can simply go to your iPad or Mac and the messages are there. And vise versa. Or you can turn the sync feature off and download iMessages back to your iPhone or iPad.
If you can’t find the deleted iMessages on other multiple device, like the previous method, iMessage Recovery software is the best solution.
Method 3: Restore Deleted iMessages from iPhone Backup
Apple doesn’t save your messages unless you backup by yourselves. If you’ve recently backed up the whole device with iTunes or iCloud, you can restore data from backup to device, as will the old and deleted iMessages. However, this will restore your whole device to that backup date selected. Some data may get lost after that.
Option 1. Restore Deleted iMessages from iCloud (without Computer)
Head to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings on your iPhone/iPad to erase all its contents before restoring from iCloud backup.
- Reboot your iPhone or iPad and follow the on-screen instructions to set it up as a new device.
- When reach the Apps & Data screen, choose “Restore from iCloud Backup”. Sign in iCloud and choose a backup that you want to restore from.
- Your iPhone or iPad will be restored from the selected iCloud backup. Stay connected with Wi-Fi and wait for the restore process to complete.
- Once it is done, all backup data including the deleted iMessages should appear on your device again.
Note: Gihosoft iPhone Data Recovery Free also enables you to recover deleted iMessages from iCloud backup. You can preview the iMessages chats and selectively recover the conversations you need only. What’s more, the existing iMessages on your iPhone or iPad won’t be overwritten.
Option 2. Retrieve Deleted iMessages from iTunes Backup
Launch iTunes on your computer that you used to back up your iPhone or iPad before your iMessages were lost or deleted.
- Plug your iPhone or iPad into the computer using a USB cable. Input your device passcode or choose “Trust This Computer” if asked.
- Select your device icon when it appears, then click on “Restore Backup”. Choose the backup that contains your deleted iMessages and click “Restore”.
- Once the restore process is finished, restart your device and your deleted iMessages should appear on the Message app again.
Note: In case that you want to selectively recover deleted iMessages from iTunes backup, rather than doing an entire restoration, you can also rely on the Free iPhone Data Recovery mentioned above. The freeware supports to extract and recover iMessages from any iTunes backup, even encrypted one.
Write In the End
That’s all. You can choose any of the above three methods according to your situation. However, we strongly recommend you try the free iPhone Data Recovery software. It not only can retrieve deleted iMessages directly on iPhone/iPad without any backup, but also extract iTunes/iCloud backup to ensure only iMessage recovery and avoid data overwritten risk. Anyway, hope this guide can help you successfully recover deleted or lost iMessages. If you find any problem, please don’t hesitate to leave us a message in the comment section below.